Saturday, November 13, 2010

Day 11

God Bless America! Happy Veteran's Day to our service-men/women! We live in a wonderful place! Yes, there are political/social/environmental/economical problems, but I am truly grateful to be an American! We live in the land of opportunity, the land of the free! That freedom does not come without its price and I'm so grateful to those that serve and have served our country. In particular, I'd like to thank my family and friends for their years of service. My mother-in-law's husband, Glenn (so my 'step' father-in-law) is a retired Marine.

He was injured when he was thrown through the windshield when his jeep was hit by a mortar shell. When he went through the windshield a huge piece of glass pierced his skull. He still suffers from that and other injuries accrued during his years of service. He has very little short-term memory which makes it difficult not only for him to retain recent events, but to multi-task (i.e. driving and talking/listening). He is an amazing man. Despite the physical and emotional impact of his service, and in spite of the great sacrifices he made, I know he'd do it over again. I sure love him and am so happy my mother-in-law found him.

No comments: