Simple Things
A few months ago I was at my parents house looking through my old journals (sheesh what a sappy drama filled girl I was). I have a feeling that some of those pages will magically go "missing" soon. Anyway it got me to thinking about years gone by. When I was in high school and early college my dearest friends would gather together every Sunday evening for scripture study. It was simple and wonderful. I always felt enriched and I think the quiet hour spent together outside of regular socializing and seminary really helped to bind us together. Years later, many of these people continue to be my closest friends. My dear friend Shannon (that's right Shan, you made quite the impression Haha! I can't remember anyone else's verses. You're special!) would frequently say "I love the simpleness of the gospel." Occasionally rather than reading a specific chapter or two, we would take turns either bearing our testimonies or sharing a favorite scripture. Shannon would often quote Alma 41:10 "...wickedness never was happiness". (I promise this will tie in...)
It is no secret that I have complained about my church calling. I have been the primary chorister for 4 1/2 years. That's a looooong time fair readers. Much of the time I feel like I'm singing a solo and look like a fool as I do the actions to "Book of Mormon Stories" all by my lonesome. One of the songs for the primary program is "Praise to the Man." NOTE: It is no small task to teach this song to children. It has so many words that even adults don't know the meaning of or at least words we never use (i.e. communed, anointed, dispensation, atone, extol, ascended, revere, etc...). On Sunday however, when voicing my conducting frustrations, my visiting teacher told me that her 2 year old daughter, Cassie, sings this song all the time at home. Cassie has never once sang along to any songs in nursery; I think I might have once seen her do the actions to 'The Wheels on the Bus" once. Knowing that even the littlest children are in fact learning, gives me hope that come program time I will not be leading a choir of mutes.
This past week as I was speaking with my bishop brother-in-law he said, "You know Cher, the chorister is the gospel doctrine teacher for primary. Everything we need to learn is in the primary songs." This simple conversation has really helped me see my calling in a new way. One of the songs I've taught this year is "I Will Follow God's Plan" which outlines the gospel from beginning to end. "My life is a gift; my life has a plan. My life has a purpose; in heav'n it began. My choice was to come to this lovely home on earth and seek for God's light to direct me from birth. I will follow God's plan for me, holding fast to his light and his love. I will work, and I will pray; I will always walk in his way. Then I will be happy on earth and in my home above."
It's all there. A simple recipe of who we are, where we came from, how to be happy, and how we can return to our father in heaven. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we are blessed to have a personal "blue print" or 'Patriarchal Blessing" which gives further guidance, warnings, and blessings for our individual journey in life. I read mine the other night and it once again filled my heart with peace, hope, and joy. Wonderful blessings are in store if I work to keep the commandments. If you have received your patriarchal blessing, I urge you to read it this weekend. It had been almost a year since I last read mine and it gave me a glimpse of the woman I want to be and can be with the lord's help.
I have started several posts over the past few months, but I either haven't gotten around to 'finishing' them, or by the end of my rants I realize that some things are better left unblogged. Haha. Out of all the things that have been happening over the past seven months I'm not sure why this is the topic I've decided to blog about... but eh? Here goes...
4 comments:
Prior to my current calling I was the Primary Chorister... for the sum of three years. Not your 4 1/2, but still a long time. I feel your pain.
I feel like that calling was such a roller coaster for me. There were very high points and very low points. Times when I was totally vested in it and times when I would quickly prepare something an hour before church. What people don't realize is that the primary chorister is a performance calling. You stand up there for XX amount of minutes and try to get the children to participate with over the top gestures and an insane amount of energy. Sometimes it works but often it doesn't. Don't even get me started on the anxiety I used to feel when we had to sing in Sacrament Meeting.
All I can say is this. Someday you won't have that calling, and at some point you will miss it. There are times when I just crave to go in there and teach those children the gospel through song. Do you remember any of your Sunday School lessons or FHE's? Probably not. But you likely remember most of the primary songs.
As a parent of a Primary child, I'll end with this. You have no idea how much of an impact the Primary Chorister makes in a home. You may not hear those kids singing, but they know the songs. My Leah, a shy little thing, rarely sings in church but is often belting out the songs in her bedroom while she's cleaning up or while she's playing with her ponies. And there is nothing quite as sweet as hearing your child sing a little song about her Heavenly Father's love for her.
You make a difference. A huge one.
Hang in there. I'm rooting for you.
Primary chorister was my mom's favorite calling. (I wouldn't feel the same way if it was mine though.) But, because of the primary songs, I can still recite all 13 articles of faith (or sing them) and I can love it when the primary hymns are sung in Sacrament meeting. I love thinking of you as the chorister. I hope it gets better and I hope you enjoy it more. Good luck! (PS. I like it when you blog. You should do it more often...)
Um, hello! I totally wrote a comment for you the other day, and when I came back, it was gone! Sad, sad day.
I was telling you that the SAME DAY that you posted this, I had the thought that one of the reasons why I love you so much is because you make me feel so good about myself! Seriously cher, youre the best!
Also, I love that you are compared to their gospel doctrine teacher. I completely agree with that. I know that I learned the most in primary during sharing time. It made the gospel so simple and you couldnt help but feel the spirit. Also, after we graduated high school, I was put as a teacher of the Sunbeams. Every single time we had singing time, I would cry! I would feel the spirit SO STRONG during that time. Even just going past the room while the children are singing, it brings tears to my eyes.
I know Im not always supportive of you keeping your calling (how many times have I told you to be asked to be released?! haha!) But I do know you are making a difference in their lives, and you will be blessed for it. You are amazing and I love you!
I was thinking about our scripture study sessions just the other day. We were all so lucky to have each other. I'm grateful Heavenly Father directed my family to your neighborhood when we were wee ones! You have always been such a shining example for me and I love ya for it!
Post a Comment