Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tips?

Hey everyone! Well today officially kicks off Adam's fall semester and new career path in Chemical Engineering. All of these changes have got me thinking about how people do this! And by "this" I mean, how are people able to pay bills, pay for groceries, pay for rent etc...and pay for school...all without going into debt! And beyond that...how are all of these married college students able to have children on top of that?!!! I think I need a financial advisor...

Sigh.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

haha! Oh Cher, I completely understand the confusion! I didnt get it until John took over our finances :) The thing one has to realize is that sometimes its inevitable to not go into debt. Espcially if you have to 2 people in school. I mean, it is great if the couple can wait till they are both out of school to start a family and they pay school all the way off, but a lot of the times, that doesnt happen.

You have to differentiate between "necessary debt" and "unnecessary debt". Necessary debt includes school, cars, houses (or rent), etc. Unnecessary debt includes debt on credit cards and such. Luckily, with school, a lot of the times you dont have to start paying that back until 6 months after you graduate. Which should give you enough time to figure out a financial game plan to get it all paid off (and luckily the interest is not too bad).

Wow, did I even make any sense? That is just what I have learned in my few short years. But, again, John does all of the financial stuff and I learn so much from him all of the time!

I am going to email you now. Love you!

Melanie said...

Oh Cheri, you just don't even know...and I'm telling you now, wait for the kid debt. :) It's a big one, and can I just say that you inspire me and make me happy. I love checking on your blog...but it makes me miss you too. Love you!:)

Marci & Matt said...

Oh Cher bear, the best advice I have for you is to buy generic everything! Prescriptions, groceries, clothing (that's a hard one!). It has saved me so much money, and it's always an adventure to see just how much I can save when I am armed with coupons! Love you girl!

Adam and Cassie said...

I think it's impossible. My old roommate has 3 kids and I asked her how she did it because they were both full time students. She said the only way is student loans. Luckily the interest is low and they will work with you after you graduate. Trust me I know the frustration.

Anonymous said...

Oh my dearest Cheri! Blame it on our youth! We have quite the financial plan, we are doing better than ever with the finanaces..ask me if you want to know more...

Tammy Eadie said...

Cheri,
It can be very difficult to balance it all and still do all that you feel you need to. I can tell you that if you put the Lord first in all things and always pay your tithing before anything else, somehow it all works.

It is amazing how quickly one learns the difference between needs and wants. Even more amazing, is that the Lord blesses us with both our wants and our needs when we do all in our power to follow His guidance.

I love you very much. I, too, learn so much from your beautiful spirit and enjoy reading your entries. Thank you for sharing!

Ash said...

wow. everyone that has already commented gave such great advice...i felt like i was on the tyra banks show listening to professionals. i was going to say cry...just cry...but now that doesn't seem very effective...

Cher said...

Thank you everyone for all of your great advice! Believe me it has all come in very handy!!! You are all brilliant! I think the keys that I have been reminded of are:
1-Trust in the Lord
2-Perspective
3-Patience
4-Balance
and 5-When all else fails, let it all out (thanks ash!)

Thank you all for your input! Much Much Love!!!