Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dwarfs and dragons, and fairies. Oh my!

In elementary school, when I'd enter the library, the librarian would smile largely and say "Here comes my fairytale girl!" I must have checked out every Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, and Cinderella variation available, twice. As far back as I can remember these stories have enchanted me. And let's be honest, what isn't enchanting about fairies, princesses, the forest, castles, houses made of candy, a cottage in the woods, an evil witch, mermaids, dwarfs, dragons, glass slippers, magic beans, and dancing shoes?!  I loved the smell of the aged pages, the detailed pictures... and the words which would fill my head with the most fantastic images!

I miss it. I miss that intoxicated feeling I'd get as I read about swan shaped boats, secret passageways, beautiful gowns, and of course the  promised  Happily Ever After. Perhaps I will stop by Barnes & Noble after work and purchase The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I'm giddy at the thought :).

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I loved Mrs. Case (Mrs. "th"immons only did it occasionally, right?)

I still have a lot of good memories of the school library.

Lauren Kay said...

I'm on a fairy tale retelling kick right now! I read Princess of the Midnight Ball and Princess of Glass and LOVED them both. And I love Goose Girl and Ella Enchanted and I just finished Daughter of the Forest with is a retelling but like 3 times as long as those other ones, but so good.

Cher said...

@Lauren: I've read the Goose Girl but have never heard of the others! I shall read them immediately!

@Mel! YES!! Mrs. Case! Oh those were the days. I really disliked when Mrs. 'th'immons was there. She was a crabby old thing and took all the fun out of library day!