Saturday, May 22, 2010

Changed

There are moments in life that stop time. The present fades and for a moment you gaze into eternity. The past few weeks have been filled with these moments. One of my dearest friends and her husband were preparing for the delivery of their little boy. Because of physical complications they knew that little baby Grant's time on this earth would be short. 

As the delivery date drew near I asked a few of my friends if they would join me in a fast for the mommy, daddy, and baby. I fast every month like most other Latter-Day Saints, but usually it's a "Oh! It's Fast Sunday" fast which I realize only minutes before we depart for church. No prayer is said to focus my fast on a singular purpose. Rarely do I legitimately fast for the 2 meals (i.e. we get out of church by noon and I'm usually eating a snack by 1:30). This time was different. Not only have I begun praying more fervently for these two amazing people and their beautiful family but this fast had purpose.  I was focused on this beautiful baby and his wonderful parents and big sister and for the first time in all my life I could have fasted for days. The spirit was so strong and I was filled with gratitude for our wonderful Savior and the Plan of Salvation.

A week ago little Grant was born. In his 30 hours on this earth I don't know of anyone who could feel more love. What a wonderful life he had! He was able to be surrounded by his family and spend hours in the warm arms of his dear mommy and daddy. He lived a life free of pain, free of sin, free of hate and all of the trials that plague this mortal life. Megan and Brad are truly choice parents. They are strong, humble, faithful, pure, loving, kind, and cheerful. There is no doubt in my mind that Grant chose these two wonderful beings to be his mommy and daddy and that he is now preparing for the day they will be reunited. I believe with my whole being that families can be together forever. I know that this beautiful family is an eternal one and for the first time I KNOW that I want a family of my own. I never met Grant while he lived, but I have felt his sweet angelic spirit. He has taught me more about the gospel than anyone I know.

WE LOVE YOU BABY GRANT!

2 comments:

Marci said...

You amaze me Cher. What a beautiful tribute to sweet baby Grant. I can't wait for you to have children of your own and feel that kind of love for them. It's truly a gift!

Megs, Brad, and Abbie said...

Thank you for writing this, what a perfect tribute to my little angel boy!

I too have learned more about the gospel from this baby, and more about life in general from him (and Abbie too) than I have from any other experience in my life. I feel so incredibly blessed to be the Mom of these two beautiful children.

Anyway, Thanks again for writing your thoughts on this- I will be printing it off to save. You are a great friend to have!

Love, Megs