Friday, December 12, 2008

Awkward...

Why oh why do women that are not close friends or family have the need to divulge intimate information...

Let me explain.

Today I was speaking with a fellow employee, when she brings up the subject of kids. She has 2. She then asks me the usual question
"When are you guys going to have kids?"
Me:
Her: "We are going to start trying again."
Me: "Oh really? That is nice." (hoping she would leave it at that...but nope! She had to take it a step further...)
Her: "We are going to start trying in February".

Why dear people, do you think that people want to know WHEN your going to try? Isn't it easy enough and clear to simply say "We would like to have more kids" or even "Hopefully in a year or so we will have another babe"... Why do mere acquaintences have to take it that one step further... What am I to say in response to her comment? "Oh February, why not tonight?"

So my dear sisters, cousins, and bestest girly friends and by all means I want to know what is happening in your lives and want all the details you feel comfortable enough to share... but this was just such an awkward exchange... I just couldn't help but post it!

4 comments:

Derek and Vicki and family said...

cher - just to let you know. We aren't trying. (ha ha) love you! Your blog makes me laugh!! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I must agree with this Cheri, seeming that I was present for this awkward conversation! I wanted to pick up the awkward phone! And I don't think I ever ever wanted to picture her and her tiny little husband "trying"..YUCK! LOL I really did laugh out loud when I read this because it was such a clearly awkward moment, I wonder how disgusted our faces looked when she said it..oh well, it could't have been helped! :)

Maura said...

I know what you mean. Every baby shower I attend with women from my old ward includes the ever awkward question, "Any news for us?" I usually try to come up with something super shocking and absolutely not related to children to help them get "the hint." As if our super exciting lives aren't news enough?!?! j/k

taylor and laney said...

I know this might be a little late, but I hate hate hate the phrase TRYING TO GET PREGNANT. I think it one hell of a euphamistic way of saying that we are having lots and lots of unprotected sex. I, like yourself, do not need to know this information.