A few nights ago Adam and I had a lovely Sunday dinner with some of our friends. After dinner we played some card games and then brought out 'The Newlywed Game'!!! The game that is sure to cause some laughs, some awkwardness, and even some realizations. Adam and I have been married just shy of 2 years now and we totally spanked everyone in the Newlywed Game...twice(!!! We Rock !!!). However, despite our victory, many of our truthful answers to questions made me realize that I need to re-evaluate my life and prioritize differently.
This brings me to my latest book. I was at work yesterday and a lovely friend and co-worker of mine walked by with a book...not just any book...a self-help Dr. Laura book. The title alone made my eyes roll..."The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands" GAGGGG me with a spoon right? My friend quickly picked up on my blatant expression. She quickly sprang into a discussion of how it has truly helped her to become aware of how she treats her husband, and essentially how to give her husband what he wants/needs so she can get what she wants/needs. I know I KNOW...not exactly rocket science...but I felt intrigued. She was on the last page and dropped the book off at my desk and challenged me to read it.
I've never really been a Dr. Laura fan, and am not exactly a 1950's housewife so it may be surprising to some, including myself, to look in my purse and find this red and white book with Dr. Laura's face staring back at me. However, as I read the introduction I feel that there is much I can learn--not just in how you treat your husband, but how you treat all those close to you. How many times in a day do we bow down to those people we hardly know and are snotty or short to those we care about most when we get home? Anywho...I am all about self improvement, and who knows...perhaps even Dr. Laura...as cliche and awkward as it sounds...can offer some sound advice.
You can expect a full book review after finals :)!!!

4 comments:
I have read this, twice. It is really good. AND, it really works. My other favorite is: The Five Love Languages. I swear by that one. I think it is by Gary Chapman!
cher, oh how i love you! i feel as if we should start a lil book club with it? maybe read it and discuss our favorite parts? maybe?
I hate that book. Seriously. Course that was two years ago when i didn't think our marriage would ever be less than pure bliss! :) And it's still blissful so I probably won't try reading it just yet :).. I have wanted to read the five love languages for 4 years now though - definitley by Gary Chapman, I've heard really good things about it - maybe we could start our bookclub business with THAT one? :) Love you Cheri!
my grandma gave me that book right after mike and i were married. i read it, and was embarrassed when people saw me reading it or saw it in my bookshelf. :) at some level i thought it was really a good book. i mean, with all the anti-men feminist crap out there lately, it was kind of a breath of fresh air to read some broad's take on how we women just might be bringing on some of those negative feelings ourselves by the way we treat our spouses (or anyone else for that matter.) some of the stuff in there was like, "what?" but in other instances i felt like it was a real eye opener to the fact that i need to show more love and appreciation to my sweety, not to mention other family and friends. make sure to tell us all what you think of it!
Post a Comment