For practically a year now when I get together with my girlfriends or fabulous sisters we often talk about everyones latest read!!! And for a year now my friends and I keep saying 'Hey we should start a book club!" As of right now, no one has claimed this responsibility and for months I have been telling myself to go ahead and start it! With finals only 3 days from being finished, and with graduation approaching in a week and a half, this seems like an ideal time! However, I must admit I have been hesitant to start a 'Book Club' for a couple reasons:
1-I am not really interested in reading LDS Historical Fiction *gasp* !That right there limits me, as that genre is one of the most popular. However, I have never given it a try so perhaps I am depriving myself of something enjoyable...yet my sensibilities say...if your going to read history perhaps it should be fact and about real people and not the 'Steed' family (ha ha...sorry that just really gets me!)? What are your thoughts? Am I being a dork?
2-Over the past 3 years I have been bombarded with literature that is less than palatable to the masses and I feel that my sensitivity to certain subjects has been tainted by what for me has become the norm of literature. I am nervous about selecting books for fear of completely offending someone. So for any of you Bloggers out there, if you are currently in a book club, or have simply read some good books (including LDS historical fiction) I would love some suggestions to get this Book Club under way!!!
Despite my small reservations the best part of the Book Club is the Club aspect and together we can choose which books we would like to read and just go for it! I feel that the first book is going to be "Train to Potevka" by Mike Ramsdell. I went to a fire side last night where he spoke and told of his experiences being an intelligence agent in Russia. I was on the edge of my seat and felt inspired by his words! His message was simple and clear: That God is good and mindful of us all and that goodness is found everywhere throughout the world!
So any of you hot peeps that want to join in our little Book Club let me know!
4 comments:
I would love to join!!! What a great idea-let me know how we can actually get this moving! Sure had fun with you at the softball game yesterday...I was thinking of buying some really short red shorts for the next game, you want a pair?
I'm totally with ya on the LDS historical fiction (or any fiction for that matter). While I am proud to be LDS, I don't think that religion qualifies someone as a good author. Writing literature is a difficult task. I love books that are unpredictable and evoke thought and emotion (even if it doesn't have a happy ending- gasp!). Recently I read the Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis, who happens to be Christian, but is also an excellent author. I finished the book a few weeks ago, but I'm still thinking about it. Let me know if you come across any other good reads
I want to join! let me know...
I wish I lived close to be in your book club. Wait, I actually wish that I had five minutes to read the Ensign once in a while. (ARGHHH!) Pathetic really.
When the heck am I going to see you???
P.S. I have a new exciting juice supplement for you! Better than Bazi and I think you might LIKE!!
My dad, mom, and Mindy have all lost a bunch of weight with it! It's wonderful. E-mail me!
Post a Comment