..they'd be shocked to discover that my German is actually worse than it was in Vienna. Is that even possible? you might be asking yourselves, oh yes my dear friends, it sure is! Ha ha ha.
I got a call from April asking me to join a German Choral group. All the songs are in German and 99% of the participants are over 60 and are from Germany.
I went.
I sang.
...I. Sounded. Special.
As soon as I got to a point that I felt comfortable with the strange shapes and sounds my mouth was making we would switch songs! I'm not sure if I can handle the embarrassment on a weekly basis, but it was quite fun to go and experience something new and away from work and my home.
I would sing you a jig right now, but I fear I haven't retained much of my whirlwind German lesson. double sigh! Setting 'German' aside, it was quite pleasant. The only thing worse than a new language though is learning people's names that have severe accents! yikes! The two names I remember are: Baerbel (similar to Barbara in english... so I'm told...) and Udi.
Baerbel has sparked my interest in German poetry, and Udi, well let's just say she was patient with me as I fumbled over the words! They made me take the music home 'to practice', but I think April just wants to make sure I give this a second shot!
Perhaps I will go practice my Deutsch...Auf wiedersehen!
5 comments:
Oh man I am laughing over here! My mom went back last year and bought Kate a little german book, and my husband was trying to read it to her tonight and I was dying!
Oh German,
Why are you so hard?
-us
Amen! My German is so terrible it's absolutely atrocious. And, to make matters worse, it got replaced by Polish and now I can hardly speak Polish. I know how you feel. And as a complete side note, remember when Whitney did the draedel/shimmy song?
Oh, Cheri. You always bring a smile (and now an out loud chuckle) to me. I love your outlook on life. And who cares if your German sucks. Look at it this way, it's better to sing the wrong words on key, than to sing the right words out of tune. Keep it up!
Oooh Whitney's shimmy song. That's quite possibly the most perfect memory ever.
Oh my goodness! The shimmy-ing and the dredle song! Classic! ha ha ha!
Post a Comment