Monday, August 10, 2009

Rambings of a blogger...

The past few months I have not been able to get the idea of good vs. evil out of my head. Grimm I know. However, the term "evil" really turns me off the saying all together. It's so final. Hopeless. I suppose I mean "bad" more than "evil" anyways... and I digress.

Lately I have been hearing a lot about looking for the good in the bad and yes, this is always good to do. It is wise to not dwell on the dreadful. It is great to look for the hope and good in all situations... Count Your Blessings and all that. However, I have been hearing things lately that make my heart ache. In the scriptures and General Conference we are warned again and again that a 'sign of the times' is that even the elect will be deceived. Even the most righteous can have their hearts turned. And the 'chosen' can fall. Yes, there is good to be found in the bad... but with all I hear, and all I see, I cannot deny that there is bad in the good, in us.


I came across this quote on my dear friends blog. It is from the Life of Pi, by Yann Martel,
-
"There are always those who take it upon themselves to defend God, as if Ultimate Reality, as if the sustaining frame of existence, were something weak and helpless. …These people fail to realize that it is on the inside that God must be defended, not on the outside. They should direct their anger at themselves. For evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart."

This quote has really helped me to put things in perspective. No force outside of ourselves can cause our hearts to be corrupt. No one forces us to make bad decisions. We cannot lead a "tempt free" life. Even the Savior was tempted by the devil, but the difference is his heart remained pure and he did not faulter. Decisions are made in our hearts. We all know better and yet we willingly and knowingly turn our hearts from our Heavenly Father.

Yes. We have all been there once or twice, and will be again and again throughout our lives.

Though I am a completely flawed and imperfect individual, I can say without hesitation, nothing is worth it. Nothing is worth the pain/humiliation/sadness/depression and hopelessness of guilt.
--
I hope that when the next temptations come, and they will, that we will not let the "evil" out.

~Love you.

3 comments:

The White House said...

Very profound. Thank you.

Shannon said...

You are so amazing Cher. I think we all need this reminder. I love you!

Marci & Matt said...

Thanks Cher. I need more of your wisdom in my life.